Tuesday 12 January 2016

ALL LIFE AND NO CHRIST ( Part 9)

ALL LIFE AND NO CHRIST ( Part 9)

I thought we were going to a hospital until my group took me through another turning along the road and I began to think I was also going to be kidnapped. I was helpless with no one to call or ask for assistance. Gabriel was on one of his trips, I called his number but he didn't  pick up.  
'he must be in one of those executive meetings', I thought.  

Then my mind went to my kids wherever they must be, and then to my dad again. I wasn't even sure if he was still alive anymore. 
'oh, this is too much for me to handle', I whispered into the ears of God, with no assurance if He was even listening at all.

Not long  after that, we pulled over at an uncompleted building and I was taken in. Apparently, the group I went with, saw the car I drove and thought I must be from a wealthy home. So, in addition to footing the medical bills of the woman and child I had hit, I must also give them something. I wasn't thinking clearly. The devil did a good job at bringing the worst of ideas into my head, and because I needed to leave for the hospital as soon as possible, I requested for an account number, made a few calls and transferred the money they wanted. After they confirmed the credit alert, they let me go. 

When I got to Blue Cross Hospital, it was the same hospital the woman and her child were brought to, so everyone: the doctors, nurses, cleaners, In fact, every single soul in that hospital was running here and there trying to do one thing or the other. Anyone who passed by would have gotten the ideaa that they were with more than one emergency. 
'This must be serious. You mean, I am the cause of all these running here and there?', I thought as I walked into the hospital. 

I met my mom at the reception already, sitting in tears but praying to God. 
'Mom! Where is dad? What happened? How did it happen? Will he be okay? What are the doctors saying? Have they been able to provide a solution? Will he survive it?', the questions followed each other as tears began to well up in my eyes also. 
All she said was, 'It is well.' 

Just as she said that, a doctor came out of the theatre and walked in our direction. 
'who is Mr. Johnson please?, the doctor asked a number of us who were waiting at the reception. 
'Here I am', a voice responded from behind me.
When I looked back, it was Paul Johnson, the same Paul who wrote me a letter. I had no idea he was there all along, and he didn't say anything to me. He must have seen my drama and pathetic state at that moment. 

Just as we looked at each other's eyes, I instantly remembered the vision he said he had in the letter he wrote to me about 15 years ago. He said he saw me in the corridors of an hospital in tears because someone related to me was in a critical condition. I remember that he said he heard the doctors say, 'We're sorry, we lost him.' Just as all of that came rushing back at me, I broke down, took my seat and thought, 'my life is officially in shambles'. I was so sure when the doctors come out and ask for us, they would tell us he was dead. 

Paul walked up to meet the doctor beaming with smiles and joyful. Then, I heard the doctor whisper to him, 'Congratulations sir, your wife has put to bed. It's twins. A boy and a girl.' He fell on his face and kept on saying, 'Thank You Jesus', for another 15 minutes. All he was saying looked like drama to me. I think the last time I said the words, 'Thank You Jesus', was about 20 years ago at our very last fellowship before leaving the secondary school. 

My mom quickly grabbed the doctor's laboratory coat and asked him how my dad was doing before he went back to the theatre. He said he was coming from a different theatre, the labour room, but that he was sure the doctors at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) were doing their best, and that we should just keep praying. My mom continued the praying. I just sat there in tears, speechless with nothing to say. I couldn't even tell my mom that the young man rolling on the floor in front of us used to be a friend, has had a vision of today in the past, told me, and I know where all of this ends. 

I decided to summon up courage and talk to God. Even if he was going to kill me, that would probably be the worst to happen. I went on my knees and decided I was going to pray. 
'Lord Jesus, I know I'm the last person you want to hear from right now. I'm not even sure you're listening to whatever it is that I want to say. I know I haven't a good child at all. I have played away my life. I have been a pawn on the chessboard of the devil and he has done with me as he pleased. I didn't give you attention at all and I was foolish to think I could live life without you. Here I am, a wretched sinner and not worthy of your mercy but humble enough to come back to you and make a promise that I will serve you, and do all that you ask me to, till the day I close my eyes in death. All I ask is that you save me, make me your child once again and deliver me from all that has happened to me today. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen' 

Well, I was not sure if he heard me or not but I was sure the Comfort who went on her kneels was not the Comfort who stood up. Something changed, but I didn't know what it was. Immediately I stood up, my mom hugged me and said, 'congratulations'. Just as she said that, another doctor came out of the theatre and walked in our direction.
'Mrs. Adetayo?',
'Yes? We're here', my mom and I both chorused, and walked up to him. 

What did he say?

"ALL LIFE AND NO CHRIST" continues in Part 10

No comments:

Post a Comment