Tuesday 12 January 2016

ALL LIFE AND NO CHRIST ( Part 10) 

ALL LIFE AND NO CHRIST ( Part 10) 

Just like the story of the prodigal son in the bible, it doesn't matter how far we have gone, how lost we have been with the world, how deep down with trash we have been buried. The moment we realise that we have been wrong and come back to Him, He's always ready to take us back. His arms are open wide ready to receive us. Isaiah 1:18 tells us, that though our sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow, meaning that there's no sin too much for Him to wash, no iniquity too grave for Him to deal with and permanently take away. Just like with Apostle Paul, the chiefest of sinners can become the chiefest of Apostles. 

I wasn't a saint. I didn't look like it at that point but I was determined that if God saved my dad and those innocent souls who became casualties of my own foolishness, I owed Him my entire life. I made a decision to live my life for God if he would only do me this good. My mom encouraged me and did a lot of talking to me about what my christian faith now entailed, what I needed to do to keep growing and make sure I did not go back on my promises to God. 

In my mind, I already thought that the vision Paul had was going to be fulfilled that day. I thought my dad would be declared dead. The doctor was sweating profusely, but smiling as he addressed us. The woman's husband was now around and I already  explained all happened to him. He was both sad and angry. He threatened to get me arrested for murder if his wife and child didn't make it. I didn't know where the faith came from but I told him that his wife and child would be okay, and God did it. 

'I have both good news and bad news. Which one would you like to hear before the other?', the doctor asked. 
'the bad news', I said.
'Alright, the bad news is that we have removed the bullet from your father's chest and administered some treatments. However, he is in an unconscious state, in coma, and there's no way we can determine if he's responding or not. If you know how to pray, now is the time. Only prayers can bring him back.
And the good news is that I'm happy to announce to you that the woman and her child are okay. Just a few minor bruises. They would be treated and should be discharged in about 2 days.'

My heart jumped for joy because I wasn't going to be sued for murder. All that was left was just paying the bills which would not be a problem. However, they news concerning my dad gave me hope that since the doctor didn't come out to tell me he's dead, probably God was still considering my plight, whether to save him or leave him to die.

I tried Gabriel's number again, it was now switched off. I sent him a text explaining all that had happened that day and told him to give me a call as soon as he got the text. Then it occurred to me that if my dad died in that state, he would go to hell fire. I went on my knees again and prayed that even if he had to die, God should please give him an opportunity to repent of all his sins and be born again. While praying, I felt something inside me tell me to go to the ward where he was laid to pray for him. I told my mom and she said she had the same feeling in her heart. 

We moved towards the nurse who was sitting behind a long desk at the reception and asked if we could go into the ward to see my dad. She placed a call to the doctor and the doctor told her to lead us there. As we walked through wards on the right and left, I saw different cases of people who were sick and admitted, young and old, male and female. It suddenly dawned on me that I had not been admitted for any major illness for the past 25 years and for the first time in a very long time, I heard myself say the words, 'Thank You Jesus'. 

Then we came to the ward where my dad was laid. It was a little different from other wards. It was not too big but I could see tubes and machines everywhere. Then I remembered they called the place Intense Care Unit. My dad had tubes all over his face to his hands and chest. He was almost not breathing at all. I sat on a chair beside his bed, held his hands in mine and began to talk to God on his behalf. We prayed for him for about 30 minutes and just as we were about to conclude the prayer session, he began to cough really seriously. I ran to the nurse to explain what was happening. 

Before I knew it, everyone was running to and fro that room again. I didn't know what was happening because the doctor told us to return to the reception. We returned to the reception and continued the prayers. That was the first time in my life that I would pray for almost 2 hours at a stretch. I poured my heart out to God, making several promises and thanking Him for saving the woman and her child. We were still praying when the nurse turned on the television and it was the local news. The person speaking spoke about the robbery that happened at my dad's office and said that the only casualty was my dad, the Chief Executive Officer, but that the culprits had been apprehended and arrested and they listed their names with pictures.

I was shocked and fainted when I saw that the number one name on the list was Gabriel. 

"ALL LIFE AND NO CHRIST" comes to an end with Part 11 following soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment