Saturday 2 January 2016

ALL LIFE AND NO CHRIST ( Part 2)

ALL LIFE AND NO CHRIST ( Part 2)

"My name is Comfort Adetayo, like most of you already know. I'm the only daughter of my parents. My parents were very comfortable, so we had the best of things we wanted, and because I was the only daughter, I was pampered. Now when I say I was pampered, I really was pampered. I was very comfortable from my primary education up till I was admitted into the university. All through my schooling, no teacher dared raise his hands against me, or he would spend the night in a police cell that day. 

I particularly remember one Monday. I was in class four, at my primary school. Some of us didn't do the assignment we were given the previous weekend. Our class teacher got angry and told us, the culprits, to stand up, stretch our palms forward and upside down like we were showing him our nails. He picked a plastic ruler and began to hit us severely on our hands. I think I remember being beaten about 5 times. It was so painful. I had never felt such pain all my life. 

My fingers quickly began to swell where I was beaten. When I got home, I showed my dad and he became furious. I don't think I had seen my dad that angry before. He picked his phone, called a police officer who was his friend and told the police officer to meet him at the school the following day. The following night, the teacher was in a police cell and he remained there for about 3 days. When he returned, he swore never to touch me again, and so I lived my life until I was in the university. 

When I got to the university, the whole school knew a new student was around. In one week, news of my arrival had spread round the school through staff and students. I lived a luxurious life. The car I rode was more expensive than that of the vice chancellor. If my car was coming on the road, every other car would park to clear the road for me. I always had bodyguards with me wherever I went. No one could come close to me. I practically didn't have any friends except a selected few who were in the same economic class with me. Oh my! Anything I wanted, I got even before I snapped my fingers.

When I think of those days now, I can only see how wrong I was. My few friends were the high and mighty amongst the students. I don't think I ever received a good advice from them. I regret that life that I lived, not as much today anymore but I want my story to serve as a lesson for someone here today so that you do not make the same mistake I made." 

By now, I got the attention of everyone in the room. I paused a little to let all I had said sink into them before continuing with the story. 

Hmmm...

"All life and no Christ" continues in Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment